The archdiocese of Verapoly belongs to Latin rite. It lies in the civil districts of Ernakulam and Thrissur of Kerala which covers an area of 1,500 square kilometers. Since 1904, it has its headquarters in Ernakulam, in the corporation of Cochin. The patron of the archdiocese is St. Joseph. The suffragan dioceses of Verapoly Archdiocese include Calicut, Cochin, Kannur, Kottapuram and Vijayapuram.
The Coporation of Cochin, according 2001 Census, has a catholic population of 260,000 and 88 percent of them belong to Latin Rite, more than half belong to the archdiocese of Verapoly.
The total population of the diocesan territory is 2.804,307 (as per the census of 2001). Almost all major religions, including Hinduism, Christianity, Islam, Sikhism, Jainism and Buddhism are practiced here. The major religion is Hinduism.
Malayalam, English, Hindi and Tamil are in use in the territory.
The archdiocese was originally known as the vicariate of Malabar. The conquest of Cochin by the Dutch made the smooth administration of Cochin diocese difficult. Bishops who were consecrated could not reach there. As result of these, the rebellions and schisms erupted among the faithful. Being informed of the situation by Father Sebastiani, a Carmelite Missionary, the pope decided to entrust the Carmelites with the spiritual care of the Syro-Chaldaic Rite. For this purpose the vicariate of Malabar was erected by Pope Alexander VII on the Dec. 3, 1659.
In 1659, Father Sebastiani was consecrated titular bishop of Hierapolis and sent back to Malabar with the title of vicar apostolic and the administrator of the Archbishopric of Cranganore. The new vicariate established its headquarters on the island of Verapoly.
The conquest of Portuguese territories in Malabar and Cochin in 1663 by the Dutch and the expulsion of Catholic Missionaries from their territories threatened the existence of the vicariate of Verapoly. But the Church survived under the Indian prelate Parambil Chandy (Alexander De Compo) whom Bishop Sebastiani had consecrated as his successor before his departure in 1663. Later Carmelites were permitted to resume their ministry which was also extended to the Catholics of the Latin Rite who were under Portuguese protection and following Portuguese Catholic tradition.
In 1709, the vicariate of Malabar was changed into the vicariate of Verapoly and Bishop Angelo Francisco took over as its first vicar apostolic. In 1838, the diocese of Cochin was annexed to the vicariate of Verapoly. From 1838 and 1886, the diocese of Cochin was governed by the vicar apostolic of Verapoly.
On Sept. 1, 1886, Pope Leo XIII raised the vicariate of Verapoly to the status of an archdiocese with Father Leonard Mellano of St. Louis as archbishop of the new ecclesiastical territory.
In 1886, the diocese of Cochin was reconstituted with 34 churches taken from the archdiocese of Verapoly and the diocese of Quilon. In 1886, the Catholics of the Syrian Rite were separated from the Latin Rite and placed under Dr. Marceline Bernard of St. Theresa OCD, who was the co-adjutor to archbishop Mellano. The Syrian Catholics were exempted from the jurisdiction of the archdiocese of Verapoly and Kottayam and Trichur vicariates were erected. As a result, the archdiocese of Verapoly become exclusively for Latin Catholics.
Archbishop Bernard Arguinzons transferred the diocesan headquarters from the island of Verapoly to Ernakulam in 1904 to be in the midst of its flock. The archdiocese came under the administration of Indian clergy when Father Joseph Attipetty was appointed co-adjutor Archbishop to Dr. Angel Mary OCD, the last European prelate to the Verapoly archdiocese, and took charge of the diocese in 1934.
Ernakulam was the capital of the erstwhile Cochin state and now it has become part of the Corporation of Cochin. Within the coporation limits, the archdiocese of Verapoly, diocese of Cochin and the archdiocese of Ernakulam of the Syrian Rite have their headquarters.
The territory is well connected with roads and rail. The nearest airport is just 25 kilometers away from the city.
The diocesan territory has moderately hot and humid climate. The rainy season -- southwest monsoon -- begins in June and lasts until September. The northwest monsoon brings light rainfall in October-December. December to February is comparatively cooler. The average annual rainfall is about 3,500 mm. During the summer, the temperature hits maximum 35ºC.
Ernakulam is the industrial nerve center of Kerala. Since time immemorial it was a renowned commercial and trade center. Today it is a bustling industrial hub. Trading, fishing, heavy industry and information technology thrive here.
The level of telecommunications infrastructure is very high. Almost everyone has a mobile phone. Most of the homes have television, and internet. There are six television stations. More than a dozen newspapers are published from here. Five FM radio stations and a private satellite radio are also broadcasted from here.
Literacy rate in the diocesan territory is 94.3 percent, higher than the national average of 59.5 percent.
The Archdiocese of Verapoly lies in the civil districts of Ernakulam and Thrissur of Kerala.
Cochin City, where the diocesan headquarters is located, is administered by a corporation, headed by a Mayor. The city is divided into 70 wards for administrative purposes and members of the corporation council are elected from the wards.
Gonsalo Garcia was born on Feb. 5, 1556, to a Portuguese father and Indian mother of Konkani descent, at Agashi village at Bassein (now Vasai), near Mumbai city in western India. His father was a soldier stationed at Fort Bassein, a Portuguese fort. Gonsalo received his education under the Jesuits. While assisting at the Church of the Holy of Jesus at Bassein, he developed a friendship with Jesuit Father Sebastian Gonsalves, who eventually became his lifelong mentor and guide.
This Filipino layman martyr saint could be rightly called the patron of infant baptism because it was after the baptism of an infant through his instrumentality that on 2nd April 1672 Pedro was martyred along with his companion missionary Fr. Diego San Vitores who baptised the infant. This infant was of a mother who got converted to Catholicism.
Lorenzo Ruiz, also called Saint Lorenzo of Manila, is a Filipino saint venerated in the Catholic Church. A Chinese-Filipino, he became his country's protomartyr after his execution in Japan by the Tokugawa Shogunate during its persecution of Japanese Christians in the 17th century.
Andrew Kim Taegon was the first Korea-born Catholic priest ordained by the French Bishop Jean-Joseph-Jean-Baptiste Ferréol at Shanghai in 1844.
On every first Friday of the month thousands of Catholics flock to Holy Cross Church of Cherpunkal in Kerala, India to revere Infant Jesus and St. Thomas, the founder of the church. The church stands on the southern bank of Meenachil River. This fabled church, also known by its Syriac name Mar Sleeva (Holy Cross)Church, belongs to Catholic Diocese of Palai of the Eastern-rite Syro-Malabar Church.
St. Mary’s Cathedral Church in Ranchi, the capital of Jharkhand state, is the mother church in the tribal belt of eastern India, where Belgian Jesuits laid the foundation of Catholicism in 19th century. This brownish Church, dedicated to the Immaculate Conception of Virgin Mary, stands on Dr. Camil Bulcke Path and nestles between St. Xavier’s College and St. Albert Major Seminary.
Basilica of Our Lady of Graces in Sardhana is a historic church that lives the memory of love and benevolence of the sole female Roman Catholic ruler in India. Our Lady of Graces Church of Sardhana stands at Meerut district in Uttar Pradesh of northern India. Consecrated in 1822, this 200-feet long church with a high central dome over the main altar, is one of the largest churches in northern India.
Saint Thomas Cathedral Basilica at Mylapore is a monumental declaration on ancient root of Christianity in India. The church was built over the tomb of St. Thomas, the Apostle who is believed to have preached Christianity in India. The cathedral preserves 2000-year-old bones of the saint and the lance that pierced him to death. Popularly known as Santhome Church, the cathedral at Chennai (formerly Madras) in Tamil Nadu state was constructed during the Portuguese era in the 16th century. “San Thome” assumes its name from St. Thomas.
Mokama Marian shrine on the southern bank of Ganges River bears the legacy persecuted Nepali Catholics banished from their homeland to India for refusing to renounce their faith. Our Lady of Divine Grace Church at Mokama stands about 90 kilometers from Patna, the capital of eastern Indian state of Bihar. Mother Mary is popularly known as Mokama Mata (Mother of Mokama). The church was built to honor Mary in 1947.
The Cathedral of Good Shepherd in Singapore is a historic National Monument, but it also holds first-class relics of a French saint who brought Catholicism on the shores of city-state two centuries ago. Built in 1847, the Good Shepherd Cathedral is the oldest Catholic Church and mother church of all Catholic churches in Singapore.
Santa Cruz Cathedral Basilica at Fort Kochi is one of the finest churches and a historic but also a landmark in Kerala state of southern India. Santa Cruz Church blends Indo-European and Gothic architectural style that draws tens of thousands of pilgrims and tourists every year. The cathedral is a great place of devotion and historic significance that survived colonial conquests and invasions to the city.
St. Anthony Cathedral at Wahakotte in Kandy is a melting of cultures and religions in Sri Lanka. Wonder worker St. Anthony of Padua is a highly respected saint among Sri Lankans of all ethnicities and faiths. Thousands visit this pilgrimage site all the year round. On the feast of St. Anthony on June 13, this national Catholic shrine draws tens of thousands of faithful from all over the country.