The diocese covers a total land area of 10,448 square kilometres and includes district of Tiruchirapalli and parts of Pudukottai and Karur districts. Tiruchirapalli is the largest city in the diocese.
In 2017, the total population in the diocesan territory was 2,296,098. Tamils are the major ethnic group in the diocese.
Tamil, English and Malayalam are the languages used here.
Pope Gregory XIV in 1836 made Madurai an apostolic prefecture. In 1846, it was raised to an apostolic vicariate and entrusted to the Jesuit Fathers. On Sept. 1, 1886, the vicariate became a diocese with the episcopal residence fixed at Tiruchirapalli. Monsignor Alexis Canoz, SJ, (1846-1888) was the first bishop of the diocese of Tiruchirapalli. He was succeeded by Bishop Jean-Marie Barthe, SJ (1890-1913), and later by Bishop Ange-Auguste Faisandier, SJ (1913-1934).
In 1932, Pope Pius XI separated the eastern part of the diocese, known as the Fishery Coast, and created the diocese of Tuticorin. In 1938, another division was made by Pope Pius XII and the diocese of Madurai was formed. Then bishop of Tiruchirapalli, Monsignor J.P. Leonard, SJ (1936-1938) was transferred to the new See and the diocese of Tiruchirapalli was handed over to the diocesan clergy with Monsignor James Mendonca (1938-1970) as its first Indian bishop. When he retired in 1971, Monsignor Thomas Fernando was transferred from Tuticorin to the diocese of Tiruchirapalli and administered it till 1990.
Father Gabriel Lawrence Sengol was consecrated bishop of Tiruchirapalli on Dec. 30, 1990. At his request, Bishop Gabriel was later relieved of his responsibility and Bishop Peter Fernando, coadjutor bishop of Tuticorin, was appointed apostolic administrator. Bishop Antony Devotta was consecrated and took charge of the diocese of Tiruchirapalli on Jan. 2001.
In 2003, the Vicariate of Dindigul was bifurcated and the new diocese of Dindigul was formed on Dec. 28, 2003, with Bishop Antony Pappusamy as its first bishop.
Tiruchirapalli city is governed by an elected mayor and a council of members. Towns are governed by municipalities, whereas villages and small towns are administered by local bodies called panchayats. The members of the local bodies are elected by adult suffrage.
The diocesan area is well connected by roads and railway. Tiruchirapalli has an international airport.
The diocese covers a total land area of 10,448 square kilometers. The diocese covers the district of Tiruchirapalli and parts of Pudukottai and Karur districts. Tiruchirapalli is the largest city in the diocese.
The per capita income is Rs 17,358 ($430). Farming is the major source of income. Heavy industries are also located in the area. The textile industry in Karur district is well-known.
Government and private operators provide extensive telecommunication facilities in the diocesan area. The diocese is well connected by local cable TV networks.
The literacy rate here is 77.9 percent.
Gonsalo Garcia was born on Feb. 5, 1556, to a Portuguese father and Indian mother of Konkani descent, at Agashi village at Bassein (now Vasai), near Mumbai city in western India. His father was a soldier stationed at Fort Bassein, a Portuguese fort. Gonsalo received his education under the Jesuits. While assisting at the Church of the Holy of Jesus at Bassein, he developed a friendship with Jesuit Father Sebastian Gonsalves, who eventually became his lifelong mentor and guide.
This Filipino layman martyr saint could be rightly called the patron of infant baptism because it was after the baptism of an infant through his instrumentality that on 2nd April 1672 Pedro was martyred along with his companion missionary Fr. Diego San Vitores who baptised the infant. This infant was of a mother who got converted to Catholicism.
Lorenzo Ruiz, also called Saint Lorenzo of Manila, is a Filipino saint venerated in the Catholic Church. A Chinese-Filipino, he became his country's protomartyr after his execution in Japan by the Tokugawa Shogunate during its persecution of Japanese Christians in the 17th century.
Andrew Kim Taegon was the first Korea-born Catholic priest ordained by the French Bishop Jean-Joseph-Jean-Baptiste Ferréol at Shanghai in 1844.
On every first Friday of the month thousands of Catholics flock to Holy Cross Church of Cherpunkal in Kerala, India to revere Infant Jesus and St. Thomas, the founder of the church. The church stands on the southern bank of Meenachil River. This fabled church, also known by its Syriac name Mar Sleeva (Holy Cross)Church, belongs to Catholic Diocese of Palai of the Eastern-rite Syro-Malabar Church.
St. Mary’s Cathedral Church in Ranchi, the capital of Jharkhand state, is the mother church in the tribal belt of eastern India, where Belgian Jesuits laid the foundation of Catholicism in 19th century. This brownish Church, dedicated to the Immaculate Conception of Virgin Mary, stands on Dr. Camil Bulcke Path and nestles between St. Xavier’s College and St. Albert Major Seminary.
Basilica of Our Lady of Graces in Sardhana is a historic church that lives the memory of love and benevolence of the sole female Roman Catholic ruler in India. Our Lady of Graces Church of Sardhana stands at Meerut district in Uttar Pradesh of northern India. Consecrated in 1822, this 200-feet long church with a high central dome over the main altar, is one of the largest churches in northern India.
Saint Thomas Cathedral Basilica at Mylapore is a monumental declaration on ancient root of Christianity in India. The church was built over the tomb of St. Thomas, the Apostle who is believed to have preached Christianity in India. The cathedral preserves 2000-year-old bones of the saint and the lance that pierced him to death. Popularly known as Santhome Church, the cathedral at Chennai (formerly Madras) in Tamil Nadu state was constructed during the Portuguese era in the 16th century. “San Thome” assumes its name from St. Thomas.
Mokama Marian shrine on the southern bank of Ganges River bears the legacy persecuted Nepali Catholics banished from their homeland to India for refusing to renounce their faith. Our Lady of Divine Grace Church at Mokama stands about 90 kilometers from Patna, the capital of eastern Indian state of Bihar. Mother Mary is popularly known as Mokama Mata (Mother of Mokama). The church was built to honor Mary in 1947.
The Cathedral of Good Shepherd in Singapore is a historic National Monument, but it also holds first-class relics of a French saint who brought Catholicism on the shores of city-state two centuries ago. Built in 1847, the Good Shepherd Cathedral is the oldest Catholic Church and mother church of all Catholic churches in Singapore.
Santa Cruz Cathedral Basilica at Fort Kochi is one of the finest churches and a historic but also a landmark in Kerala state of southern India. Santa Cruz Church blends Indo-European and Gothic architectural style that draws tens of thousands of pilgrims and tourists every year. The cathedral is a great place of devotion and historic significance that survived colonial conquests and invasions to the city.
St. Anthony Cathedral at Wahakotte in Kandy is a melting of cultures and religions in Sri Lanka. Wonder worker St. Anthony of Padua is a highly respected saint among Sri Lankans of all ethnicities and faiths. Thousands visit this pilgrimage site all the year round. On the feast of St. Anthony on June 13, this national Catholic shrine draws tens of thousands of faithful from all over the country.