In a land area of 5,299 square kilometers, the diocesan territory covers two civil districts -- Ranchi and Lohardaga.
The population in the archdiocese is 3,618,032, according to Census 2017. Major tribal groups are Munda, Oraon, Kharia, Gond, Chick-Baraik, Gorait, Karmali, Lohra, Mahli, Asur, Birhor and Birjia. Birhors are the Hunter-gatherer primitive tribe. Mahli, Lohra, Karmali and Chik Baraik are simple artisans. Munda, Oraon, Kharia, and Gond are settled agriculturists.
Languages used in the diocesan territory are Hindi, Sadri, Mundari, Kurukh, Kharia, Kurmali, Khortha and English.
The archdiocese of Ranchi comprises civil cistrict of Ranchi (minus Khunti Subdivision) and the district of Lohardaga.
The first Belgian Jesuit to enter Chotanagpur was Father Auguste Stockman. He travelled by a bullock cart from Midnapur and after a difficult journey of a fortnight he reached Chaibasa (now in the diocese of Jamshedpur) on Nov. 25, 1868, for a brief visit. He settled down at Chaibasa on July 10, 1869. The first Munda converts were baptized on Nov. 8, 1873. His work among the Ho tribe did not yield results, so he moved towards the Ranchi district in January 1875. Other Belgian Jesuits came to Ranchi in 1877 to act as military chaplains to the troops. As the prospects of evangelization among the tribals of Chotanagpur were bright, the first mission station was opened among the Mundas. However, the real impetus came from Father Constant Lievens, who arrived at Doranda on March 18, 1885. He is often called Apostle of Chotanagpur.
To assist the missionaries, the Irish Loreto Sisters from Calcutta opened a Convent at Purulia Road, Ranchi. It was here that the Daughters of St. Anne, a diocesan congregation had their beginning in 1897. The Ursuline Sisters of Tildonk, Belgium, replaced the Loreto nuns in the same compound in 1903.
By 1927 the Ranchi mission had developed to such an extent that by decree of the Holy See, dated May 25, 1927, it was separated from the Calcutta archdiocese to form a new diocese with Ranchi as its episcopal seat and Msgr. Louis Van Hoeck as the first bishop. He was succeeded by Father O. Sevrin in 1934, who was pastor for 18 years (1934-1952).
Ranchi archdiocese has two parliamentary constituencies - Ranchi and Lohardaga. The archdiocese has seven state assembly constituencies - Ranchi, Kanke, Hatia, Khijri, Silly, Mandar, and Lohardaga.
Infrastructure facilities are not very satisfactory.
There are trains, road transport and air transport facilities.
The per capital income in the diocesan territory is Rs. 14,990 ($313) as of July 2, 2009.
Heavy Engineering Corporation (HEC) of India has a unit in Ranchi. Besides, there are several industries, such as agro equipment, aluminium, copper, chemicals and allied products.
Cell phone services are growing fast. There is one TV broadcasting station - Doordarshan - and one radio station - Akashwani - in the territory of Ranchi archdiocese. Also a few private FM radio stations are there.
Average literacy rate of 74 percent is recorded in Ranchi city.
Gonsalo Garcia was born on Feb. 5, 1556, to a Portuguese father and Indian mother of Konkani descent, at Agashi village at Bassein (now Vasai), near Mumbai city in western India. His father was a soldier stationed at Fort Bassein, a Portuguese fort. Gonsalo received his education under the Jesuits. While assisting at the Church of the Holy of Jesus at Bassein, he developed a friendship with Jesuit Father Sebastian Gonsalves, who eventually became his lifelong mentor and guide.
This Filipino layman martyr saint could be rightly called the patron of infant baptism because it was after the baptism of an infant through his instrumentality that on 2nd April 1672 Pedro was martyred along with his companion missionary Fr. Diego San Vitores who baptised the infant. This infant was of a mother who got converted to Catholicism.
Lorenzo Ruiz, also called Saint Lorenzo of Manila, is a Filipino saint venerated in the Catholic Church. A Chinese-Filipino, he became his country's protomartyr after his execution in Japan by the Tokugawa Shogunate during its persecution of Japanese Christians in the 17th century.
Andrew Kim Taegon was the first Korea-born Catholic priest ordained by the French Bishop Jean-Joseph-Jean-Baptiste Ferréol at Shanghai in 1844.
On every first Friday of the month thousands of Catholics flock to Holy Cross Church of Cherpunkal in Kerala, India to revere Infant Jesus and St. Thomas, the founder of the church. The church stands on the southern bank of Meenachil River. This fabled church, also known by its Syriac name Mar Sleeva (Holy Cross)Church, belongs to Catholic Diocese of Palai of the Eastern-rite Syro-Malabar Church.
St. Mary’s Cathedral Church in Ranchi, the capital of Jharkhand state, is the mother church in the tribal belt of eastern India, where Belgian Jesuits laid the foundation of Catholicism in 19th century. This brownish Church, dedicated to the Immaculate Conception of Virgin Mary, stands on Dr. Camil Bulcke Path and nestles between St. Xavier’s College and St. Albert Major Seminary.
Basilica of Our Lady of Graces in Sardhana is a historic church that lives the memory of love and benevolence of the sole female Roman Catholic ruler in India. Our Lady of Graces Church of Sardhana stands at Meerut district in Uttar Pradesh of northern India. Consecrated in 1822, this 200-feet long church with a high central dome over the main altar, is one of the largest churches in northern India.
Saint Thomas Cathedral Basilica at Mylapore is a monumental declaration on ancient root of Christianity in India. The church was built over the tomb of St. Thomas, the Apostle who is believed to have preached Christianity in India. The cathedral preserves 2000-year-old bones of the saint and the lance that pierced him to death. Popularly known as Santhome Church, the cathedral at Chennai (formerly Madras) in Tamil Nadu state was constructed during the Portuguese era in the 16th century. “San Thome” assumes its name from St. Thomas.
Mokama Marian shrine on the southern bank of Ganges River bears the legacy persecuted Nepali Catholics banished from their homeland to India for refusing to renounce their faith. Our Lady of Divine Grace Church at Mokama stands about 90 kilometers from Patna, the capital of eastern Indian state of Bihar. Mother Mary is popularly known as Mokama Mata (Mother of Mokama). The church was built to honor Mary in 1947.
The Cathedral of Good Shepherd in Singapore is a historic National Monument, but it also holds first-class relics of a French saint who brought Catholicism on the shores of city-state two centuries ago. Built in 1847, the Good Shepherd Cathedral is the oldest Catholic Church and mother church of all Catholic churches in Singapore.
Santa Cruz Cathedral Basilica at Fort Kochi is one of the finest churches and a historic but also a landmark in Kerala state of southern India. Santa Cruz Church blends Indo-European and Gothic architectural style that draws tens of thousands of pilgrims and tourists every year. The cathedral is a great place of devotion and historic significance that survived colonial conquests and invasions to the city.
St. Anthony Cathedral at Wahakotte in Kandy is a melting of cultures and religions in Sri Lanka. Wonder worker St. Anthony of Padua is a highly respected saint among Sri Lankans of all ethnicities and faiths. Thousands visit this pilgrimage site all the year round. On the feast of St. Anthony on June 13, this national Catholic shrine draws tens of thousands of faithful from all over the country.