In a land area of 8,920 square kilometers, the diocesan territory covers three civil districts of North Dinajpur, South Dinajpur and Malda in West Bengal state. Major cities in the diocese are Malda, Raiganj, Islampur, and Balurghat. Important rivers are: Mahananda, Nagar, Kulik, Atari, Kalindi.
Raiganj is located on the banks of Kulik River. It is the headquarters of North Dinajpur district. Raiganj is an important center for agriculture trade and jute exports. Rice mills are also operational in the territory.
In Raiganj diocese, the population was 8,669,750 in 2017.. Most residents are Bengali Dalits (former untouchables). Catholics are mostly tribals belonging to the communities of Santal, Oraon and Munda.
The languages used in the diocesan territory are Hindi, Bengali, tribal dialects of Santhali, Sadri, Oraon, Mundari.
The diocese of Raiganj was erected on June 8, 1978.
Prior to World War I a lot of missionary activities were taking place among the Santal tribals. Many Santals were migrating from their native Santal Parganas and Krishnagar areas to various parts of Dinajpur district, now in Bangladesh.
Jesuit Father L. Knockaert, S.J., who was based in Purenea of Bihar state, was a pioneer missioner among the Santals. He frequented the Santal settlements near to Kishangunj and built a chapel in Majlispur in 1925.
In the same year, the first contingent of the Sicilan Jesuit province arrived in India. The Maltese Jesuit Father A. Debono and the two scholastics were appointed at Majlispur. The missionaries worked hard to free the Santals from the clutches of the moneylenders and ensure social freedom. By 1929-30 they built here the presbytery, convent and hostels for the children.
In 1930 the Sisters of Charity of Saints Bartholomea Capitanio and Vincenza Gerosa (SCCG) arrived to work in the mission. This was the first mission in this area. Whereas the Jesuit Fathers labored in the northern part of the present diocese, the Italian Pontifical Institute of Foreign Missionaries of Milan (PIME) pioneered in the southern part of the diocese.
PIME Father Delforno built the first mission center in 1911 at Lukripir village. In 1935 that mission was shifted to Alampur.
In 1952 prefecture of Malda was formed out of Malda and a part of West Dinajpur, now in the neighboring Bangladesh, and was entrusted to Pontifical Institute of Foreign Missionaries of Milan (PIME).
When the diocese of Dumka was formed in 1962, the area of the prefecture of Malda was added to Dumka diocese.
In 1978 the districts of Malda and the erstwhile West Dinajpur, (now divided into two districts of Uttar Dinajpur and Dakshin Dinajpur), were bifurcated from Dumka and diocese of Raiganj was formed.
Jesuit Bishop Leo Tigga, who was the bishop of Dumka, was transferred to Raiganj as the first bishop. After the death of Bishop Tigga on Jan. 29, 1986, Jesuit Bishop Alphonsus D'Souza was appointed its second bishop on Jan. 26, 1987.
Most priests are tribals. Missioners from the southern Tamil Nadu and Kerala states also work among the people.
people cultivate: paddy, jute, mustard, wheat and vegetables. Many rice mills are active in this area. Industrial presence is almost negligible in North Dinajpur district. A few industries are found in South Dinajpur district.
People are generally poor and uneducated.
Gonsalo Garcia was born on Feb. 5, 1556, to a Portuguese father and Indian mother of Konkani descent, at Agashi village at Bassein (now Vasai), near Mumbai city in western India. His father was a soldier stationed at Fort Bassein, a Portuguese fort. Gonsalo received his education under the Jesuits. While assisting at the Church of the Holy of Jesus at Bassein, he developed a friendship with Jesuit Father Sebastian Gonsalves, who eventually became his lifelong mentor and guide.
This Filipino layman martyr saint could be rightly called the patron of infant baptism because it was after the baptism of an infant through his instrumentality that on 2nd April 1672 Pedro was martyred along with his companion missionary Fr. Diego San Vitores who baptised the infant. This infant was of a mother who got converted to Catholicism.
Lorenzo Ruiz, also called Saint Lorenzo of Manila, is a Filipino saint venerated in the Catholic Church. A Chinese-Filipino, he became his country's protomartyr after his execution in Japan by the Tokugawa Shogunate during its persecution of Japanese Christians in the 17th century.
Andrew Kim Taegon was the first Korea-born Catholic priest ordained by the French Bishop Jean-Joseph-Jean-Baptiste Ferréol at Shanghai in 1844.
On every first Friday of the month thousands of Catholics flock to Holy Cross Church of Cherpunkal in Kerala, India to revere Infant Jesus and St. Thomas, the founder of the church. The church stands on the southern bank of Meenachil River. This fabled church, also known by its Syriac name Mar Sleeva (Holy Cross)Church, belongs to Catholic Diocese of Palai of the Eastern-rite Syro-Malabar Church.
St. Mary’s Cathedral Church in Ranchi, the capital of Jharkhand state, is the mother church in the tribal belt of eastern India, where Belgian Jesuits laid the foundation of Catholicism in 19th century. This brownish Church, dedicated to the Immaculate Conception of Virgin Mary, stands on Dr. Camil Bulcke Path and nestles between St. Xavier’s College and St. Albert Major Seminary.
Basilica of Our Lady of Graces in Sardhana is a historic church that lives the memory of love and benevolence of the sole female Roman Catholic ruler in India. Our Lady of Graces Church of Sardhana stands at Meerut district in Uttar Pradesh of northern India. Consecrated in 1822, this 200-feet long church with a high central dome over the main altar, is one of the largest churches in northern India.
Saint Thomas Cathedral Basilica at Mylapore is a monumental declaration on ancient root of Christianity in India. The church was built over the tomb of St. Thomas, the Apostle who is believed to have preached Christianity in India. The cathedral preserves 2000-year-old bones of the saint and the lance that pierced him to death. Popularly known as Santhome Church, the cathedral at Chennai (formerly Madras) in Tamil Nadu state was constructed during the Portuguese era in the 16th century. “San Thome” assumes its name from St. Thomas.
Mokama Marian shrine on the southern bank of Ganges River bears the legacy persecuted Nepali Catholics banished from their homeland to India for refusing to renounce their faith. Our Lady of Divine Grace Church at Mokama stands about 90 kilometers from Patna, the capital of eastern Indian state of Bihar. Mother Mary is popularly known as Mokama Mata (Mother of Mokama). The church was built to honor Mary in 1947.
The Cathedral of Good Shepherd in Singapore is a historic National Monument, but it also holds first-class relics of a French saint who brought Catholicism on the shores of city-state two centuries ago. Built in 1847, the Good Shepherd Cathedral is the oldest Catholic Church and mother church of all Catholic churches in Singapore.
Santa Cruz Cathedral Basilica at Fort Kochi is one of the finest churches and a historic but also a landmark in Kerala state of southern India. Santa Cruz Church blends Indo-European and Gothic architectural style that draws tens of thousands of pilgrims and tourists every year. The cathedral is a great place of devotion and historic significance that survived colonial conquests and invasions to the city.
St. Anthony Cathedral at Wahakotte in Kandy is a melting of cultures and religions in Sri Lanka. Wonder worker St. Anthony of Padua is a highly respected saint among Sri Lankans of all ethnicities and faiths. Thousands visit this pilgrimage site all the year round. On the feast of St. Anthony on June 13, this national Catholic shrine draws tens of thousands of faithful from all over the country.