The territory of the diocese of Cochin covers 235 square kilometers in Kerala state. It is situated between the Arabian Sea in the west, the archdiocese of Verapoly in the north and in the east and the diocese of Alleppey in the south.
Cochin is an important port city of Kerala on the southwest coast and is located in the district of Ernakulam. It was strategically important over the centuries. It was referred to as the Queen of the Arabian Sea and also named the Gateway to Kerala. It is believed that the word Cochin was derived from the Malayalam words, Koch Azhi means 'small lagoon'.
Cochin is considered the commercial hub and industrial capital of Kerala since time immemorial. Kochi is the original name of the city, while Cochin is the colonial name. This beautiful seaside city is flanked by the Western Ghats on the east and the Arabian Sea on the west.
In 2016, the total population of the diocesan territory is 618,890.
Malayalam, English, Hindi, Tamil are in use in the diocesan territory.
History of the diocese of Cochin begins with the arrival of the Portuguese missionaries in India. These neo-apostles reached Kappad near Calicut on May 20, 1498, along with Vasco Da Gama, the famous navigator. History has it that their reception was far from friendly. In the violent encounter that ensued, quite a few of the visitors, including some anointed, were killed. As a result, Da Gama had to return to Lisbon. It is worth noting here the first martyr among the Portuguese missionaries in Kerala was Father Fedro De Covilakam.
A second expedition under Captain Alvarez Cabral, comprising 13 ships and 18 priests, anchored at Cochin on Nov. 26, 1500. Cabral soon won the goodwill of the Raja of Cochin. He allowed four priests to do apostolic work among the early Christian communities scattered in and around Cochin. Thus Portuguese missionaries established Portuguese Mission in 1500.
During the reign of Catholic emperor of Portugal John III, more Franciscan friars and priests reached Goa. Along with them a highly trained team of Jesuit missionaries, led by Father Francis Xavier reached Cochin. Later, he requested the help of Jesuit General St. Ignatius and the emperor for more missionaries from Portugal. Francis Xavier visited Cochin several times and stayed more than 120 days. He used to offer mass at St. Antony's Church. This church is still at Cochin, known as Lenthapally (Dutch church). At present, this church is under the department of the Archaeological Survey of India.
The Jesuits, Dominicans, Augustinians and the Carmelites followed them. At the arrival of the Portuguese, the Christians in Cochin area joined the Roman Latin rite.
A monastery of the Franciscans "Santo Antonino" was established in Cochin in 1518 and two others of the Jesuits in 1550 and 1561. In 1553 the Dominicans founded their college and monastery in Cochin.
The whole of the east was under the jurisdiction of the diocese of Lisbon. On June 12, 1514, Cochin and Goa became two prominent mission stations under the newly created Funchal diocese in Madeira. Pope Paul III by the Bull Quequem Reputamus raised Funchal as an archdiocese and Goa as its suffragon, deputing the whole of India under the diocese of Goa.
When the diocese of Goa was established in 1534, Cochin became part of the new diocese.
The diocese of Cochin was erected on Feb. 4, 1557 by Pope Paul IV in his Decree Pro Excellenti Praeeminentia. The pope also declared the magnificent Portuguese church of Santa Cruz as the cathedral of the new diocese. At that time, Cochin was the second diocese in India and had the jurisdiction over the whole of South, East India, Burma and Ceylon.
The first bishop of Cochin was a Dominican priest Dom George Temudo (1557-1567).
In 1663, the Dutch conquered Cochin and destroyed all the Catholic churches and institutions except the cathedral and the church of St. Francis Assisi. During the British conquest of Cochin, the cathedral was destroyed.
The diocese of Cochin stood witness to many important historical events, including the Synod of Diamper which was held on June 10, 1599, conducted by Archbishop Alexis De Menezes of Goa.
Since 1646, the administration of the diocese was difficult. It was often affected by the conquests of Cochin by the Dutch. Bishops who were consecrated as the bishops of the diocese could not reach here. As a result fractions, rebellions and schisms erupted in the diocese. In order to bring the dissidents back to the mother church, Holy See sent the Carmelite missionaries. Thus was established the vicariate of Malabar in 1657. In 1709 it was changed into the vicariate of Verapoly. In 1838 the diocese of Cochin was annexed to the vicariate of Verapoly. From 1838 and 1886, the diocese of Cochin was governed by the vicar apostolic of Verapoly.
On June 23, 1886, Pope Leo XIII promulgated the famous concordat called Humane Salutis Auctor by which the diocese of Cochin was restored to its original condition and placed again as a suffragan under the diocese of Goa. Simultaneously, the vicariate of Verapoly was raised to archdiocese and the diocese of Quilon was erected as its suffragan.
After the reorganization in 1886, five Portuguese bishops ruled the diocese. In 1950 the diocese was handed over to the native clergy. Dr. Alexander Edezhath (1951-1975) was the first Indian bishop. He was succeeded by Bishop Joseph Kureethara (1975-1999). After his demise, in 2000 Bishop John Thattumkal was appointed as the bishop of the diocese and he was suspended from his responsibilities over a scandal. Bishop Joseph Kariyil was appointed as the new bishop of Cochin on May 8, 2009.
The city of Cochin is administered by Kochi Corporation, headed by a mayor. The city is divided into 70 wards for administrative purposes and members of the corporation council are elected from the wards.
The territory is well connected with roads and railway. The nearest airport is just 25 kilometers away from the city.
Cochin's proximity to the equator, the sea and the mountains provide a moderate equatorial climate. The rainy season-south west monsoon, begins in June and lasts up to September. The northwest monsoon brings light rainfall in October-December. December to February is comparatively cooler. The average annual rainfall is about 350 cm. During the summer, March -June, the temperature hits maximum 35 degrees Celsius.
Cochin is the industrial nerve centre of Kerala. Since time immemorial it was a renowned commercial and trade center. Today Cochin is a bustling industrial hub. Trading, fishing, heavy industry and information technology thrive here.
The level of telecommunication infrastructure is high. Cochin has the highest density of telephones in India. Almost everyone has a mobile phone. Most of the homes have television and internet. Cochin has six television stations. More than a dozen newspapers are published from here. Five FM radio stations and a private satellite radio are also broadcasted from here.
Literacy rate in the diocesan territory is 94.3 percent, higher than the national average of 59.5 percent.
Cochin is a multi-ethnic and multi-religious town. All most all major religions, including Hinduism, Christianity, Islam, Sikhism, Jewish, Jainism and Buddhism are practiced here. The major religion is Hinduism.
The city of Cochin is administered by Kochi Corporation, headed by a Mayor. The city is divided into 70 wards for administrative purposes and members of the corporation council are elected from the wards.
Gonsalo Garcia was born on Feb. 5, 1556, to a Portuguese father and Indian mother of Konkani descent, at Agashi village at Bassein (now Vasai), near Mumbai city in western India. His father was a soldier stationed at Fort Bassein, a Portuguese fort. Gonsalo received his education under the Jesuits. While assisting at the Church of the Holy of Jesus at Bassein, he developed a friendship with Jesuit Father Sebastian Gonsalves, who eventually became his lifelong mentor and guide.
This Filipino layman martyr saint could be rightly called the patron of infant baptism because it was after the baptism of an infant through his instrumentality that on 2nd April 1672 Pedro was martyred along with his companion missionary Fr. Diego San Vitores who baptised the infant. This infant was of a mother who got converted to Catholicism.
Lorenzo Ruiz, also called Saint Lorenzo of Manila, is a Filipino saint venerated in the Catholic Church. A Chinese-Filipino, he became his country's protomartyr after his execution in Japan by the Tokugawa Shogunate during its persecution of Japanese Christians in the 17th century.
Andrew Kim Taegon was the first Korea-born Catholic priest ordained by the French Bishop Jean-Joseph-Jean-Baptiste Ferréol at Shanghai in 1844.
On every first Friday of the month thousands of Catholics flock to Holy Cross Church of Cherpunkal in Kerala, India to revere Infant Jesus and St. Thomas, the founder of the church. The church stands on the southern bank of Meenachil River. This fabled church, also known by its Syriac name Mar Sleeva (Holy Cross)Church, belongs to Catholic Diocese of Palai of the Eastern-rite Syro-Malabar Church.
St. Mary’s Cathedral Church in Ranchi, the capital of Jharkhand state, is the mother church in the tribal belt of eastern India, where Belgian Jesuits laid the foundation of Catholicism in 19th century. This brownish Church, dedicated to the Immaculate Conception of Virgin Mary, stands on Dr. Camil Bulcke Path and nestles between St. Xavier’s College and St. Albert Major Seminary.
Basilica of Our Lady of Graces in Sardhana is a historic church that lives the memory of love and benevolence of the sole female Roman Catholic ruler in India. Our Lady of Graces Church of Sardhana stands at Meerut district in Uttar Pradesh of northern India. Consecrated in 1822, this 200-feet long church with a high central dome over the main altar, is one of the largest churches in northern India.
Saint Thomas Cathedral Basilica at Mylapore is a monumental declaration on ancient root of Christianity in India. The church was built over the tomb of St. Thomas, the Apostle who is believed to have preached Christianity in India. The cathedral preserves 2000-year-old bones of the saint and the lance that pierced him to death. Popularly known as Santhome Church, the cathedral at Chennai (formerly Madras) in Tamil Nadu state was constructed during the Portuguese era in the 16th century. “San Thome” assumes its name from St. Thomas.
Mokama Marian shrine on the southern bank of Ganges River bears the legacy persecuted Nepali Catholics banished from their homeland to India for refusing to renounce their faith. Our Lady of Divine Grace Church at Mokama stands about 90 kilometers from Patna, the capital of eastern Indian state of Bihar. Mother Mary is popularly known as Mokama Mata (Mother of Mokama). The church was built to honor Mary in 1947.
The Cathedral of Good Shepherd in Singapore is a historic National Monument, but it also holds first-class relics of a French saint who brought Catholicism on the shores of city-state two centuries ago. Built in 1847, the Good Shepherd Cathedral is the oldest Catholic Church and mother church of all Catholic churches in Singapore.
Santa Cruz Cathedral Basilica at Fort Kochi is one of the finest churches and a historic but also a landmark in Kerala state of southern India. Santa Cruz Church blends Indo-European and Gothic architectural style that draws tens of thousands of pilgrims and tourists every year. The cathedral is a great place of devotion and historic significance that survived colonial conquests and invasions to the city.
St. Anthony Cathedral at Wahakotte in Kandy is a melting of cultures and religions in Sri Lanka. Wonder worker St. Anthony of Padua is a highly respected saint among Sri Lankans of all ethnicities and faiths. Thousands visit this pilgrimage site all the year round. On the feast of St. Anthony on June 13, this national Catholic shrine draws tens of thousands of faithful from all over the country.