With a land area of 46, 774 square kilometers, the diocese covers 12 civil districts of Uttar Pradesh state: Allahabad, Ambedkarnagar, Faizabad, Fatehpur, Kanpur City, Kanpur Rural (Akbarpur), Mirzapur, Pratapgarh, Rae Bareli, Sonebhadra, Sultanpur, and Kaushambi.
Allahabad and Kanpur are the biggest cities in the territory.
41,517,000 people live in the diocesan territory.
Hindi, Urdu and English are the main languages used.
The history of the Church in Allahabad is linked to the early missionary expeditions to Tibet and Nepal. The Italian Capuchins of Ancona were commissioned in 1703 to evangelize Tibet. In 1707, six priest reached Lhasa. They were well-received by the Grand Lama and allowed to build a church and a house. For lack of personnel, they had to abandon Tibet twice. In 1741, a third expedition was sent, but this time pressure from the Lamas led to persecution. In 1745 they left Lhasa for Nepal.
During the years 1738-1741, the kings of Bhatgon and Kathmandu asked the missionaries to open a mission in their kingdoms. They provided land and a house for the priests. By November 1767 the mission had recorded 59 baptisms. But in July 1745, a war broke out between Bhatgaon, Patan and Kathmandu. Prithvi Narayan, ruler of the Ghurkas, came to power as liberator of the three kingdoms, and within eight years he conquered the rest of Nepal. He denied the missionaries the royal subsidies granted by his predecessors. Without financial help the missionaries left Nepal for Bettiah.
In 1820, the prefecture of Tibet-Hindustan was elevated to a vicariate based in Agra. In 1825, Father Anthony Pezzoni was appointed vicar apostolic. He left India in 1842, and was succeeded by Msgr. Joseph Anthony Borghi. At the request of Msgr. Borghi, Patna was made a separate vicariate in 1845.
On Sept. 1, 1886, Patna vicariate was elevated to become the diocese of Allahabad and Father Francis Pesci became its first bishop. On Dec. 20, 1890, the local Church was transferred to the care of the Capuchin province of Bologna.
Allahabad remains a large diocese despite losing territory to seven ecclesiastical units. The Capuchins administered it until 1947, when Capuchin Bishop Angelo Poli handed it over to diocesan clergy headed by Bishop Leonard Raymond (later archbishop of Nagpur), its first Indian ordinary.
Allahabad City is managed by a corporation. Villages and small towns are administered by panchayats and municipalities, respectively. These local bodies are elected.
Roads and railways exist throughout the diocesan area. The nearest airport is in Varanasi city.
Per capita income is Rs 16,060 ($359) as of March 2011. Farming is a major occupation with wheat, rice and sugarcane the main crops. Many industries are also located in the diocese.
Government and private operators provide extensive telecommunication facilities in the area. The diocese is well served by local cable TV networks.
Nearly 59.02 percent literacy rate exists in the diocese.
Gonsalo Garcia was born on Feb. 5, 1556, to a Portuguese father and Indian mother of Konkani descent, at Agashi village at Bassein (now Vasai), near Mumbai city in western India. His father was a soldier stationed at Fort Bassein, a Portuguese fort. Gonsalo received his education under the Jesuits. While assisting at the Church of the Holy of Jesus at Bassein, he developed a friendship with Jesuit Father Sebastian Gonsalves, who eventually became his lifelong mentor and guide.
This Filipino layman martyr saint could be rightly called the patron of infant baptism because it was after the baptism of an infant through his instrumentality that on 2nd April 1672 Pedro was martyred along with his companion missionary Fr. Diego San Vitores who baptised the infant. This infant was of a mother who got converted to Catholicism.
Lorenzo Ruiz, also called Saint Lorenzo of Manila, is a Filipino saint venerated in the Catholic Church. A Chinese-Filipino, he became his country's protomartyr after his execution in Japan by the Tokugawa Shogunate during its persecution of Japanese Christians in the 17th century.
Andrew Kim Taegon was the first Korea-born Catholic priest ordained by the French Bishop Jean-Joseph-Jean-Baptiste Ferréol at Shanghai in 1844.
On every first Friday of the month thousands of Catholics flock to Holy Cross Church of Cherpunkal in Kerala, India to revere Infant Jesus and St. Thomas, the founder of the church. The church stands on the southern bank of Meenachil River. This fabled church, also known by its Syriac name Mar Sleeva (Holy Cross)Church, belongs to Catholic Diocese of Palai of the Eastern-rite Syro-Malabar Church.
St. Mary’s Cathedral Church in Ranchi, the capital of Jharkhand state, is the mother church in the tribal belt of eastern India, where Belgian Jesuits laid the foundation of Catholicism in 19th century. This brownish Church, dedicated to the Immaculate Conception of Virgin Mary, stands on Dr. Camil Bulcke Path and nestles between St. Xavier’s College and St. Albert Major Seminary.
Basilica of Our Lady of Graces in Sardhana is a historic church that lives the memory of love and benevolence of the sole female Roman Catholic ruler in India. Our Lady of Graces Church of Sardhana stands at Meerut district in Uttar Pradesh of northern India. Consecrated in 1822, this 200-feet long church with a high central dome over the main altar, is one of the largest churches in northern India.
Saint Thomas Cathedral Basilica at Mylapore is a monumental declaration on ancient root of Christianity in India. The church was built over the tomb of St. Thomas, the Apostle who is believed to have preached Christianity in India. The cathedral preserves 2000-year-old bones of the saint and the lance that pierced him to death. Popularly known as Santhome Church, the cathedral at Chennai (formerly Madras) in Tamil Nadu state was constructed during the Portuguese era in the 16th century. “San Thome” assumes its name from St. Thomas.
Mokama Marian shrine on the southern bank of Ganges River bears the legacy persecuted Nepali Catholics banished from their homeland to India for refusing to renounce their faith. Our Lady of Divine Grace Church at Mokama stands about 90 kilometers from Patna, the capital of eastern Indian state of Bihar. Mother Mary is popularly known as Mokama Mata (Mother of Mokama). The church was built to honor Mary in 1947.
The Cathedral of Good Shepherd in Singapore is a historic National Monument, but it also holds first-class relics of a French saint who brought Catholicism on the shores of city-state two centuries ago. Built in 1847, the Good Shepherd Cathedral is the oldest Catholic Church and mother church of all Catholic churches in Singapore.
Santa Cruz Cathedral Basilica at Fort Kochi is one of the finest churches and a historic but also a landmark in Kerala state of southern India. Santa Cruz Church blends Indo-European and Gothic architectural style that draws tens of thousands of pilgrims and tourists every year. The cathedral is a great place of devotion and historic significance that survived colonial conquests and invasions to the city.
St. Anthony Cathedral at Wahakotte in Kandy is a melting of cultures and religions in Sri Lanka. Wonder worker St. Anthony of Padua is a highly respected saint among Sri Lankans of all ethnicities and faiths. Thousands visit this pilgrimage site all the year round. On the feast of St. Anthony on June 13, this national Catholic shrine draws tens of thousands of faithful from all over the country.