On May 21, 1990, the Diocese of Rajshahi was canonically erected, incorporating the southern portion of the greater Diocese of Dinajpur.
The total population was 19,072,080 in 2017. In addition to Bangla, different tribal languages such as Santali, Oraon (Kuruk and Sadri), Mahali and Paharia are also spoken by indigenous people in the diocesan territory.
The total population of 2017 was 19,072,080. In addition to the wide use of Bangla, different tribal languages such as Santali, Oraon (Kuruk and Sadri), Mahali and Paharia are also spoken by indigenous people in the diocesan territory.
The evangelisation began there at the request of Gabriel Topno, a Munda tribal Christian and a leper, who migrated from Chota Nagpur in the Indian village of Begunbari, two miles south of the present Beneedwar parish.
Father Francesco Rocca, a missionary of the Pontifical Institute for Foreign Missions in Milan (PIME), came from Pakuria in Meherpur district to the south of the mighty Ganges on January 29, 1902, to provide pastoral assistance to Topno and his family. He subsequently continued preaching the Gospel in the area.
Within eight years of his arrival, there were already large Christian communities among the Mundas in Begunbari, Mahalis in Chokjodu and Santals in Beneedwar. Crossing the Ganges, the Mal-Paharias came to build the Iswardi-Amnura Railway Tracks. The Christian missionaries also crossed the river and walked along the railway tracks, preaching the Good News. The first Mal-Paharias of Andharkota were baptized on February 21, 1904, by Father S. Taveggia, PIME.
From a humble beginning in Begunbari and Andharkota, Catholic faith gradually spread among the Adibasis throughout the Diocese of Rajshahi. In 1925, many Bengali Christians from Bhawal areas of the Archdiocese of Dhaka started migrating to the greater districts of Pabna and Rajshahi due to economic reasons.
Three parishes were gradually established for their pastoral care, in Bonpara (1940), Mothurapur (1947) and Mariabad/Borni (1949). Mothurapur belonged to the Archdiocese of Dhaka until 1976, when it was transferred to the Diocese of Dinajpur. With the growth and extension of the Church in northern Bengal, there arose a need to create a new diocese which comprised eight southern districts of the Diocese of Dinajpur.
Bishop Theotonius Gomes C.S.C., the then Bishop of Dinajpur, initiated the process of erection of the Diocese of Rajshahi. It was announced on May 21, 1990, and the Bishop Patrick D'Rozario C.S.C. was appointed the first bishop of the new diocese. After five years of strenuous pastoral and organisational works of the new diocese, Msgr. D'Rozario was transferred to the seaport Diocese of Chittagong, and he became its second native bishop on February 3, 1995. Father Julian Rozario guided the diocese as the administrator of the Sede Vacante of Rajshahi Diocese until Father Paulinus Costa, the then vicar general of Dhaka, was named, consecrated and took possession of the diocese on April 26, 1996.
There is no separate political structure in the diocesan territory. There are some Parliament seats for Rajshahi, and the citizens elect their representatives to those seats. No serious disruption of democracy is seen in the region. Minorities can vote and take part in politics without any pressure. The people of Rajshahi city have the opportunity to elect their mayor for the Rajshahi city corporation.
Rajshahi is connected to all parts of the country by land, and to some extent by air. Buses, trains and private vehicles are the main modes of transport. Rajshahi city can be reached by domestic airplanes. Roads and highways connect the city to towns and to rural areas of the diocese.
The territory is located between 88.15 and 89.80 degrees longitude (East) and between 23.75 and 25.25 latitude (North).
The diocese covers a total land area of 18,063 sq. km. It comprises nine civil districts. The Padma, which is known as the Ganges in West Bengal, enters into the country through the diocesan territory.
The per capita income of the diocesan territory is equivalent to $463. The main agricultural products of the area are rice and mango. The varieties of mangoes produced in the Rajshahi territory are famous for their unique taste.
There are many cell phone service providers, in addition to government and private land phone service providers. Cell phones are popularly in use.
The overall literacy rate of the diocesan territory is 47 percent (as per 2001 Census).
Gonsalo Garcia was born on Feb. 5, 1556, to a Portuguese father and Indian mother of Konkani descent, at Agashi village at Bassein (now Vasai), near Mumbai city in western India. His father was a soldier stationed at Fort Bassein, a Portuguese fort. Gonsalo received his education under the Jesuits. While assisting at the Church of the Holy of Jesus at Bassein, he developed a friendship with Jesuit Father Sebastian Gonsalves, who eventually became his lifelong mentor and guide.
This Filipino layman martyr saint could be rightly called the patron of infant baptism because it was after the baptism of an infant through his instrumentality that on 2nd April 1672 Pedro was martyred along with his companion missionary Fr. Diego San Vitores who baptised the infant. This infant was of a mother who got converted to Catholicism.
Lorenzo Ruiz, also called Saint Lorenzo of Manila, is a Filipino saint venerated in the Catholic Church. A Chinese-Filipino, he became his country's protomartyr after his execution in Japan by the Tokugawa Shogunate during its persecution of Japanese Christians in the 17th century.
Andrew Kim Taegon was the first Korea-born Catholic priest ordained by the French Bishop Jean-Joseph-Jean-Baptiste Ferréol at Shanghai in 1844.
On every first Friday of the month thousands of Catholics flock to Holy Cross Church of Cherpunkal in Kerala, India to revere Infant Jesus and St. Thomas, the founder of the church. The church stands on the southern bank of Meenachil River. This fabled church, also known by its Syriac name Mar Sleeva (Holy Cross)Church, belongs to Catholic Diocese of Palai of the Eastern-rite Syro-Malabar Church.
St. Mary’s Cathedral Church in Ranchi, the capital of Jharkhand state, is the mother church in the tribal belt of eastern India, where Belgian Jesuits laid the foundation of Catholicism in 19th century. This brownish Church, dedicated to the Immaculate Conception of Virgin Mary, stands on Dr. Camil Bulcke Path and nestles between St. Xavier’s College and St. Albert Major Seminary.
Basilica of Our Lady of Graces in Sardhana is a historic church that lives the memory of love and benevolence of the sole female Roman Catholic ruler in India. Our Lady of Graces Church of Sardhana stands at Meerut district in Uttar Pradesh of northern India. Consecrated in 1822, this 200-feet long church with a high central dome over the main altar, is one of the largest churches in northern India.
Saint Thomas Cathedral Basilica at Mylapore is a monumental declaration on ancient root of Christianity in India. The church was built over the tomb of St. Thomas, the Apostle who is believed to have preached Christianity in India. The cathedral preserves 2000-year-old bones of the saint and the lance that pierced him to death. Popularly known as Santhome Church, the cathedral at Chennai (formerly Madras) in Tamil Nadu state was constructed during the Portuguese era in the 16th century. “San Thome” assumes its name from St. Thomas.
Mokama Marian shrine on the southern bank of Ganges River bears the legacy persecuted Nepali Catholics banished from their homeland to India for refusing to renounce their faith. Our Lady of Divine Grace Church at Mokama stands about 90 kilometers from Patna, the capital of eastern Indian state of Bihar. Mother Mary is popularly known as Mokama Mata (Mother of Mokama). The church was built to honor Mary in 1947.
The Cathedral of Good Shepherd in Singapore is a historic National Monument, but it also holds first-class relics of a French saint who brought Catholicism on the shores of city-state two centuries ago. Built in 1847, the Good Shepherd Cathedral is the oldest Catholic Church and mother church of all Catholic churches in Singapore.
Santa Cruz Cathedral Basilica at Fort Kochi is one of the finest churches and a historic but also a landmark in Kerala state of southern India. Santa Cruz Church blends Indo-European and Gothic architectural style that draws tens of thousands of pilgrims and tourists every year. The cathedral is a great place of devotion and historic significance that survived colonial conquests and invasions to the city.
St. Anthony Cathedral at Wahakotte in Kandy is a melting of cultures and religions in Sri Lanka. Wonder worker St. Anthony of Padua is a highly respected saint among Sri Lankans of all ethnicities and faiths. Thousands visit this pilgrimage site all the year round. On the feast of St. Anthony on June 13, this national Catholic shrine draws tens of thousands of faithful from all over the country.