The total population was around 18,243,000 in 2016. In addition to the wide use of Bangla tribal languages, Garo and Hajong are also spoken by indigenous people in the diocesan territory.
Before September 1987, the area which currently is the Mymensingh Diocese, was part of the Dhaka Archdiocese. So the early history of the Church in this Diocese, is linked up with the history of Dhaka. In the second part of the 16th century, Catholics were already there in various parts of what now is the Mymensingh Diocese, as in Hossenpur of Kishoreganj District. But the remarkable Catholic evangelization work among the Garo people began only in the early 20th century. This work among the Garos and the progress made is indeed a bright spot in the history of the Church in Bangladesh.
In 1909, five Garo leaders made a long trip down to Dhaka to ask the Catholic Bishop to send a priest. A year later, the Bishop sent Father Fleury CSC, and Brother Eugene CSC, to study the situation. In late 1910 and early 1911, Father Adolphe Francis CSC, began the work in Tausalpara near Ranikhong. On March 19, 1911, Father Francis reaped the first fruits with 21 Catholic baptisms at Tausalpara. The first church among the Garos was built at Tausalpara in 1912, and in 1913, Father Francis began living there. In 1915, he moved to the Ranikhong Hill where Ranikhong Parish is now situated. Until 1918, Father Francis was practically alone, tramping the Garo country from east to west, covering the 90-mile strip of the territory. In the following twenty-five years, a total of six parishes were established.
When Mymensingh Diocese was created in 1987 (comprising of the Civil Districts of Mymensingh, Jamalpur, Kishoreganj, Netrakona, Sherpur and Tangail), eight parishes existed: six of them close to Meghalaya border (from east to west): Baluchara (1930), Ranikhong (1912), Bhalukapara (1926), Biroidakuni (1928), Baromari (1942) and Mariamnagar (1937). Parishes had also been established in Mymensingh Town (1927), and at Jalchatra (25 miles or some 40 kilometers southwest of Mymensingh Town, in 1960). Three additional parishes (11 parishes in total) have been erected since 1987 at Boruakona (1989, with territory taken from the eastern part of Baluchara Parish), Pirgacha (1993, with territory taken from the northern part of Jalchatra Parish), and Joljolia (2006, with territory taken from the western part of Biroidakuni Parish).
On May 15, 1987, Pope John Paul II erected the Diocese of Mymensingh and named as its first Bishop, Father Francis Anthony Gomes, who was then studying in Rome. On September 8, 1987, the new Diocese was officially erected, and the new Bishop was ordained in Mymensingh. On Christmas Day 2003, Father Ponen Paul Kubi CSC (the then Director of the Pobitra Krush Sadhana Griha, Rampura, Dhaka) was appointed the Auxiliary Bishop of Mymensingh and ordained in Mymensingh on February 13, 2004. On July 15, 2006, Bishop Ponen Paul Kubi CSC, was appointed the second Bishop of Mymensingh by Pope Benedict XVI. The installation ceremony was held on September 1, 2006. By the end of 2006, the Catholic population of Mymensingh Diocese grew to 72,952.
No separate political structure is there in the diocesan territory. There are some seats in the Parliament for Mymensingh, and the citizens elect their representatives to those seats. No serious disruption of democracy is seen in the region. Minorities can vote and take part in politics without any pressure.
Mymensingh is connected to all parts of the country by land, and to some extent by river. Buses, trains and private vehicles are the main modes of transport to Mymensingh town. Roads and highways connect district towns and rural areas of the diocese.
The diocese covers a total land area of 16,448 sq. km. It comprises of the six civil districts of Mymensingh, Jamalpur, Kishoreganj, Netrakona, Sherpur and Tangail.
The per capita income in the diocesan territory is equivalent to 599 USD(as of June 2008, as per the Bangladesh Bureau of Statistics). The main agricultural products are rice, pineapple, jackfruit, banana etc.
There are many cell phone service providers, in addition to government and private land phone service providers. Cells phones are popularly used.
The overall literacy rate of the diocesan territory is 47% (as per 2001 census).
Gonsalo Garcia was born on Feb. 5, 1556, to a Portuguese father and Indian mother of Konkani descent, at Agashi village at Bassein (now Vasai), near Mumbai city in western India. His father was a soldier stationed at Fort Bassein, a Portuguese fort. Gonsalo received his education under the Jesuits. While assisting at the Church of the Holy of Jesus at Bassein, he developed a friendship with Jesuit Father Sebastian Gonsalves, who eventually became his lifelong mentor and guide.
This Filipino layman martyr saint could be rightly called the patron of infant baptism because it was after the baptism of an infant through his instrumentality that on 2nd April 1672 Pedro was martyred along with his companion missionary Fr. Diego San Vitores who baptised the infant. This infant was of a mother who got converted to Catholicism.
Lorenzo Ruiz, also called Saint Lorenzo of Manila, is a Filipino saint venerated in the Catholic Church. A Chinese-Filipino, he became his country's protomartyr after his execution in Japan by the Tokugawa Shogunate during its persecution of Japanese Christians in the 17th century.
Andrew Kim Taegon was the first Korea-born Catholic priest ordained by the French Bishop Jean-Joseph-Jean-Baptiste Ferréol at Shanghai in 1844.
On every first Friday of the month thousands of Catholics flock to Holy Cross Church of Cherpunkal in Kerala, India to revere Infant Jesus and St. Thomas, the founder of the church. The church stands on the southern bank of Meenachil River. This fabled church, also known by its Syriac name Mar Sleeva (Holy Cross)Church, belongs to Catholic Diocese of Palai of the Eastern-rite Syro-Malabar Church.
St. Mary’s Cathedral Church in Ranchi, the capital of Jharkhand state, is the mother church in the tribal belt of eastern India, where Belgian Jesuits laid the foundation of Catholicism in 19th century. This brownish Church, dedicated to the Immaculate Conception of Virgin Mary, stands on Dr. Camil Bulcke Path and nestles between St. Xavier’s College and St. Albert Major Seminary.
Basilica of Our Lady of Graces in Sardhana is a historic church that lives the memory of love and benevolence of the sole female Roman Catholic ruler in India. Our Lady of Graces Church of Sardhana stands at Meerut district in Uttar Pradesh of northern India. Consecrated in 1822, this 200-feet long church with a high central dome over the main altar, is one of the largest churches in northern India.
Saint Thomas Cathedral Basilica at Mylapore is a monumental declaration on ancient root of Christianity in India. The church was built over the tomb of St. Thomas, the Apostle who is believed to have preached Christianity in India. The cathedral preserves 2000-year-old bones of the saint and the lance that pierced him to death. Popularly known as Santhome Church, the cathedral at Chennai (formerly Madras) in Tamil Nadu state was constructed during the Portuguese era in the 16th century. “San Thome” assumes its name from St. Thomas.
Mokama Marian shrine on the southern bank of Ganges River bears the legacy persecuted Nepali Catholics banished from their homeland to India for refusing to renounce their faith. Our Lady of Divine Grace Church at Mokama stands about 90 kilometers from Patna, the capital of eastern Indian state of Bihar. Mother Mary is popularly known as Mokama Mata (Mother of Mokama). The church was built to honor Mary in 1947.
The Cathedral of Good Shepherd in Singapore is a historic National Monument, but it also holds first-class relics of a French saint who brought Catholicism on the shores of city-state two centuries ago. Built in 1847, the Good Shepherd Cathedral is the oldest Catholic Church and mother church of all Catholic churches in Singapore.
Santa Cruz Cathedral Basilica at Fort Kochi is one of the finest churches and a historic but also a landmark in Kerala state of southern India. Santa Cruz Church blends Indo-European and Gothic architectural style that draws tens of thousands of pilgrims and tourists every year. The cathedral is a great place of devotion and historic significance that survived colonial conquests and invasions to the city.
St. Anthony Cathedral at Wahakotte in Kandy is a melting of cultures and religions in Sri Lanka. Wonder worker St. Anthony of Padua is a highly respected saint among Sri Lankans of all ethnicities and faiths. Thousands visit this pilgrimage site all the year round. On the feast of St. Anthony on June 13, this national Catholic shrine draws tens of thousands of faithful from all over the country.